Sebastian W. James
Chicago, IL | 773.879.3538 | email@example.com
http://www.sebastianwjames.me/ | http://www.linkedin.com/in/sebastianjames
Areas of Expertise
|§ Digital Technology
§ Integrated Marketing
§ Social Media Strategy
|§ Public Relations
§ Research Methods
§ Communication Strategy
|§ Government Communications
§ Content Creation
Second-year graduate student, Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, IL August 2017 to present
Candidate for Master of Science in Global Strategic Communication, Spring 2019
Took advantage of an opportunity to refresh, refocus and relaunch.
- 6 GPA
- Focusing on technology, communication strategy and media.
- Completed an independent executive program on artificial intelligence and implications on business strategy from MIT’s Sloan School of Management, August 2018.
- Researching sales leads for a Chicago-based academic tech startup.
TransUnion, Chicago, IL 2016 to 2017
Freelance Communications & Marketing Writer
Ghostwriter for a leading credit information and financial information management services company.
- Quickly became fluent in the technology of online fraud activity and how to defeat it.
- Collaborated with marketers and technologists to create blog posts, copy for emails and landing pages.
Blue1647 – CivicBlue, Chicago, IL 2015 to 2016
Contract program director for a civic technology center. Responsible for developing data education and community development programs for local stakeholders.
- Led partnership efforts to launch the “CivicBLUE Curriculum”, a 9-week seminar program on improving data and technology skills for local business and nonprofits.
Cook County Government – Bureau of Technology, Chicago, IL 2010 to 2014
Deputy Communications Director
Deputy Director of New Media, helped one of the last major local governments learn to effectively use the web, digital and social media to communicate organizational value, mission and success.
- Launched “Cook County Blog”, a custom portal for county news and updates for residents. First in county government to use live-streaming and crowdsourcing to increase access and engagement.
- Managed Twitter, Facebook and Foursquare social media channels. Maintained high engagement rates, up to 12 percent for Facebook in August 2012, and up to 9.1 percent for Twitter in September 2012.
- Increased year-to-year (2012 -2013) unique website visits and page views by 620k and 1.5m, respectively.
Preckwinkle for President, Chicago, IL May 2010 – November 2010
Digital Marketing Manager
Digital marketing manager for a winning $4 million-dollar countywide political campaign. Created and executed Google Ads, social media and email campaigns.
- Developed “56 Days to Victory” email and display advertising campaign. Used a countdown meme that drove immediacy to engage with the campaign.
- Created “Everything You Need to Know about Early Voting in Cook County, a Google Ads campaign designed to drive up turnout for the candidate and rest of the party’s slate.
- Collaborated with a team from the local SEIU chapter to select and manage an outside vendor for “Hate vs. Hope”, a GOTV web and social media campaign. The campaign included a $30,000 Facebook ad budget.
Cook County Transition, Chicago, IL October 2010 to December 2010
Digital Marketing Manager
Communications and technology support for a local government transition team.
- Created the Cook County Transition website UI, using WordPress.
- Responsible for selecting and managing a vendor that created a custom employment app that managed job applicants for with the incoming administration.
- Created a Google Ads crowdsourcing campaign that served as a touchpoint for community engagement.
- Publisher (2008-2016) Hybrid and Electric Car News.net
- Print Production Manager (2007 -2008) Whitehall Jewelers
- Production Manager (2004 – 2007) JC Whitney
- Production Coordinator (1998 – 2004) JC Whitney
- Account Executive (1992 – 1994) Multimedia Cablevision
- Promotions Manager (1992 – 1994) WYIN, Channel 56
- Editor (1991 – 1993) New Buffalo Times
- Account Executive (1989 – 1991) WAJI, 95.1 FM
- Field Marketing Manager (1987 – 1989) Nutri System Weight Loss Centers
- Please visit http://www.sebastianwjames.me/curriculum-vitae for career details.
Education & Certifications
M.S. in Global Strategic Communication, Spring 2019 | Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, IL
Certification, Artificial Intelligence: Implications for Business Strategy, August 2018 | MIT, Cambridge, MA
Certification, Integrated Marketing | University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
B.A. in Political Science | Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, IN